Our History‎ > ‎

Significant Timelines 1933 - 1988

1933 Annual Meeting
An envelope offering system is adopted.  All annual meetings will henceforth be conducted in English rather than Norwegian.  Gunval Gunderson resigns as church secretary after serving as such for 31 years. 

June 7, 1933
Motion made and accepted to change the name of the church to Knife Lake Lutheran Church and to affiliate with the Lutheran Free Church of American in faith and creed. 

1934 Annual Meeting
A motion was made and accepted to conduct services in English at the Erickson Chapel in Mora and to alternate English and Norwegian services at the church. 

1935 Annual Meeting
A motion was made and accepted to alternate morning services between English and Norwegian.  All evening services were to be in English.  Sunday School was to start the first Sunday of April and continue until Christmas. 

December 1936
First formal discussion held regarding building a church in Mora and moving the congregation to town.  Materials for a church, style of building, and sites were discussed as was the issue of raising funds for such a project.  A committee was appointed to look into these issues and to report back at the next congregational annual meeting. 

December 7, 1937
A "straw" poll was conducted to assess sentiment regarding moving the congregation to Mora.  12 were in favor of the move, 14 were opposed. 

February 8, 1939
It was proposed and accepted that the congregation move to Mora and to centralize its work there in the future.  Plans were discussed to establish a church there as soon as possible. 

September 1, 1939
It was proposed and accepted that the Knife Lake Lutheran Church apply for a building loan from the Board of Home Missions to construct a new church in Mora. 

November 6, 1939
Decision to build a new church includes approval of a plan to mortgage the parsonage for an amount not to exceed $300.00 was passed by a 16-0 vote.  Four recommendations were made by the building committee:  (1) excavate the basement this fall so building can commence in the spring; (2) the present church should be dismantled this fall and winter saving as much of the materials as possible to use in the new church; (3) that the new church be a frame structure; and (4) that some arrangements be made to provide a meeting place for the congregation to hold services until the new church was ready to be occupied. 

1939-1940
Church was held in the big meeting room of the creamery in town while construction was progressing on the new church. 

July 1940
Rev. H.C.  Casperson conducted a cornerstone laying ceremony for the new church.  By that Fall, the basement was sufficiently progressing that services could be held there. 

May 27, 1945
A service of dedication was held officiated y Dr. T.O. Bernvedt, President of the Lutheran Free Church.  Total costs approached $13,000 and there was a "communicant" membership of 139 with 26 new members listed and 12 other listed as "likely to join."

November 1948
The mortgage was paid off on the new church at a service of Thanksgiving. 

June 1949
At the 50th Anniversary of the church the congregation was listed at 170 members.  Former pastors John Hanson and Claus Morgan attended the festivities. 

May 1952
Initial discussion began regarding the addition of an educational annex to the church. 

November 1955
A decision was made to build an annex to be finished by the fall of 1957.  Twins were born to Pastor and Mrs. Kallevig. 

1961-1963
Under a merger of many Lutheran Synods in America, the Lutheran Free Church voted to join the new American Lutheran Church. 

1968-1969
The congregation met the challenge of raising $5500 for the Lutheran Ingathering for Education drive to assist Lutheran colleges. 

1968
A plan was brought forward to enlarge the narthex of the church.  It was rejected as being too expensive. 

1969
Upon the recommendation of the long-range planning committee, the two lots to the south of the church were purchased. 

1972
The church got rid of the old parsonage and bought a newer one located some blocks from the church. 

1973
Calvary had membership of 528 baptized souls with 358 confirmed members. 

1986
Approval was sought and received to build a new sanctuary and fellowship hall addition plus off-street parking areas. 

May 1987
Ground was broken for the construction of the new sanctuary and fellowship hall. 

March 1988
The new structure was dedicated with former pastors Martin J. Olson, Merton Strommen and Howard Sortland present.  Roger Monson Bishop of the Northeast Synod of the church officiated. 

Former Pastors